Thursday, September 23, 2010

Old McDonald Had a Farm...

One of my classes is currently enamored with Old McDonald. Of all the children's songs to be excited about, I guess it's not the worst. If you are interested in learning how to say "duck" in English. But I find it quite fitting now. Every morning on my way to work, this old man walks across the main road through town, across the playground in front of my apartment and through the apartment complex with a herd of cows. And every night he heads back the other way with sheep and goats. He has a rucksack on his back and a stick he herds the the animals with. It's quite an unusual sight - an ages-old profession taking place through a busy, metropolitan area - but one which is quite fitting for Gori and Georgia. It's a strange mix of old and new. Old babooshkas peddling homegrown fruit from the village and talking on cell phones. Young people in traditional dress, dancing traditional dances to Lady Gaga and Vanilla Ice. Old men herding cows across the highway. I do like it here. I think Old McDonald's going on my ipod. In the spirit of old and new, of course.

1 comment: