Monday, September 13, 2010

I feel pretty, oh so pretty...

Well, today I’ve been on TV, been one of the guests of honor at a reception hosted by the Charges d’Affaires (the guy in charge of the embassy when the ambassador’s away), and mingled with governors and officials from the USA and Georgia. Why, you may ask? Because apparently, we are quite a big deal. Which I did not really know or expect until the 4-5 film crews came waltzing into our meeting. But let me start from the beginning.

Today was the first real day of the Fulbright. We left for the Embassy bright and early for a day of meetings and conferences. After going through the numerous security checkpoints and feeling like a criminal for carrying hand sanitizer, we had meetings about everything from security to health to exchange programs. We also were able to talk with the Charge since the Ambassador was out of town. And with the Charge can a news crew from every major TV station in Tbilisi. According to Saul, there were as many crews to meet us as there was at the Embassy’s massive 4th of July celebration. They filmed us for a bit and got us to speak to them about what we were doing (during which time I hid so I didn’t have to talk to them. Success!). Have you ever tried to have a productive, informative meeting with cameras in your face and film crews whispering amongst themselves about angles and lighting? Yeah, it’s hard.

You see, Georgia is currently doing a major initiative to make English the second language. They are planning to hire 1000 native English speakers to teach English in classrooms throughout Georgia. While the US cannot, in return, match those 1000 teachers, they can send Fulbrighters and ELFs (English Teaching Fellows) to support Georgian teachers, give workshops, teach teachers how to teach English (haha, that’s fun), and work in different centers around the country. That’s where my cohort and I come in. No pressure, right?

Anyways, after a generally exhausting day, we went to the Charge’s house for a reception in our honor. People came from all across Georgia to attend, including the Governor or Zugdidi (for those of you unfamiliar with Georgian geography, Zugdidi is on the other side of the country – about a 4+ hour drive). I was able to meet with some of the people I will be working with in Gori, which was wonderful.

I’ve always heard that Georgia is famous for its hospitality. They are so hospitable, in fact, many people refer to it as “hostile hospitality.” But you never quite understand what that means till you get there. People are bending over backwards to meet and talk with us. They have offered to host us whenever we travel; to take us skiing at a resort in the winter. It’s amazing. And they are so excited when you show an interest in their culture, history, language, etc. I’ve been warned that I will never be able to just sit at home because they will be inviting me to everything – I’m going to take them seriously this time.

So, that was today. Tomorrow, we leave for Gori bright and early to start our apartment search. And my bag’s still lost, so pajamas and leopard-print slippers it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment